Whole Wheat flour- 2 C
Instant yeast – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Water – to knead
- Dissolve sugar in warm milk.Then add in the yeast and let it rise(10-15 mins)
- Take a bowl and add the flour with required salt.
- Once the yeast and milk have become frothy add into the flour.
- Now knead the flour mix with required amount of water into soft pliable dough.
- Keep the dough covered in an oil coated bowl for 1 hour to rise.
- Now take the fermented dough and punch it to release the trapped air and knead for a few mins.
- Make into 8 balls of same size.
- Roll into circles of 1/4″thickness.
- Heat an iron tawa and prepare as chapatis are done.
- It will puff completely giving you perfect pocketed pitas.
- Put the hot pitas into a clean cotton pillow cover to retain its softness or it can be kept well covered in clean kitchen towel.
- Replace half or full amount of the Whole Wheat flour with All purpose flour to get the normal white Pita breads that you buy from bakeries.
- The milk should not be very hot as it could kill the yeast.It should be just warm.
- The leftover pitas can be frozen in freezer bags and can be microwaved into those soft pitas again.