Umm Ali aka Omali is a Middle Eastern dessert thought to be originated from Egypt. It resembles bread pudding in its looks but has a completely different texture and flavor. This is commonly served at Iftar during Ramadan here in the UAE. It can be related to a comfort food rather than just a dessert. It is commonly served warm but can be had as a cold dessert too.
Puff pastry sheets square-10 nos (400gm)
Sweetened condensed milk- 1 can
Sugar- 4 -6 Tbsp
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
Nuts (Almonds,Pistachios,Cashew nuts)-1/4 C
Dessicated coconut powder- 3 Tbsp
Butter or Ghee- 1 tbsp
Thick cream – 250 ml
- Preheat oven to 190° C.
- Bake the puff pastry square as per the package instructions until crisply puffed up and golden.
- Meanwhile, In a saucepan heat the mixture of milk, sweetened condensed milk, sugar just until boiling.Add in the vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- In a small frying pan heat the butter/ghee and toast the nuts lightly and keep aside.
- Take a pie pan, shred the puff pastry square into medium size bits.
- Then add the nuts and coconut and spread out using a spoon between the pastry layers.
- Now pour the heated milk mixture over the pastry flakes.And let it soak for a few minutes.Press gently using a spoon so that it soak up faster.
- Finally spread the thick cream over the top of the pan evenly over milk pastry mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15mins
- After baking place under the broiler to get a nice golden top crust for the dessert.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
The Thick cream is just my addition to give it a crust and it can can be omitted, but I love the look and texture it adds to the dessert.