For the Crust:
All purpose Flour- 1 1/4 C
Salted Butter- 100gm (chilled and cubed)
Vanilla- 1/2 tsp
For the custard:
Condensed milk-3/4 C
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Crumble flour and the chilled butter cubes with your fingers to get a bread crumb like texture.
- Beat the egg with sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Add this to crumbled flour and knead it into a smooth dough adding enough cold water. Shape the dough into a disk shape. Place baking paper on both sides.
- Wrap and chill the dough for 15 mins. Roll out the disk with the baking paper to a 1/4 inch thickness a and line a greased 9 inch tart or flan tin.
- Press it lightly and firmly around the base, sides and the rim.Take a sharp knife and trim the overlapping pastry.Then press the rim of the pastry using a fork.
- Prick the bottom surface of the tart with a fork. Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with dry beans. Brush the edges with beaten egg white.
- Bake for 5-7 mins.Remove the beans and paper and continue baking for another 8-10 mins until the edges are golden
- Meanwhile prepare the custard, place the cream in a sauce pan and bring it to simmer.Then add the condensed milk and stir well.Beat the eggs with vanilla.Pour the hot cream over the beaten egg and whisk gently.
- Cover the rim of the pie to avoid over browning with a foil.
- Pour the custard mix into the baked crust and bake for another 30-40 mins or until the custard is firm along the sides and the center part is a bit jiggly.