Dark semi sweet chocolate -200gms
Heavy cream- 200ml
Unsalted butter-1 tbsp (optional)
- Chop the chocolates and place into a bowl.
- Heat the cream .If adding butter add it with the cream and then heat.
- When it starts boiling pour it over the chocolate.
- Let it sit for a few seconds to have the chocolate melted and then stir it slowly until its well blended.Its done slowly as not to incorporate air as it can become grainy if done so.
- Ganache tends to thicken with cooling.
- Once cooled the ganache can be spread over the cake using a spatula.First a thin layer has to be applied thats the crumb coating to prevent the crumbs from interfering with the smooth texture of the finished cake.After the crumb coat is applied let it cool so that the layer hardens which make it easier for the next application.
- If pouring over the cake,cool the cake first then pour the ganache when its still warm and has pourable consistency.Place cake on a wire rack under which a foil is placed to catch the dripping.Pour the ganache from center and let it flow on its own.Tilt the cake gently to spread the ganache evenly.Do not use a spatula.Its better if a crumb coat is applied for a smoother finish.
- If piping cool it to get it thick enough for piping.
High end Brands of chocolate like Lindt works great.
Diarymilk also works fine.
For cream, Heavy whipping cream or Amul Fresh cream can be used